Calla lilies overwintering in Ohio...

hairmetal4ever(Z7 MD)March 15, 2014

I'm not too familiar with these plants, meaning, I do know what they are but have never grown them, either here in MD or when I lived in Ohio.

However, my father has several cultivars of Zantedeschia that have overwintered and returned every year for a decade, with nothing more than being 2 feet from the foundation and a few inches of shredded wood mulch. Not "extra" mulch, just the mulch that's already in the planting bed that he replenishes from time to time.

This is in NE Ohio...zone 5b/6a depending on the map you use. Does this seem contrary to popular opinion?

Although I'd be curious to see if they return THIS spring.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdflowers(5)

Let us know if they come back. I live in NE OH as well and the cold is what convinced me not to try Zantedeschia when I moved up here. I'm going to try some in containers this year...

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 4:14PM
Kathy192

Hi,
I received a potted Calla Lily as a gift last week and would like to plant it outside, do you know if I can plant it outside now, it has long flowered stalks. I live in North Carolina and the weather is starting to get warm , spring like. I appreciate any advise, thank you.....

Bookmark   March 30, 2014 at 10:03PM
casagrande(7)

Kathy.....I am in nc and my callas come back. I have then planted close to the foundation of my house, I don't know if that has any bearing. last year was the first year they came back. they were humungous! last forever as a cut flower in the house. I love them. bought more last year and planted in a different spot. have not seen a sign of then yet. I will post pictures of the blooms.....

Bookmark   May 13, 2014 at 8:09AM
nopets(6)

I am not going to hijack this thread, I just wanted to say that calla lilies will overwinter just fine in my part of Ohio inside. I just left them in the soil and put them in a cool dark place and forrgot about them. I started rewatering them and put them under my flourescent lamp and the first leaf popped up and now another one is coming up. Sorry kind of blurry but you can see the second leaf popping up!

Bookmark   May 31, 2014 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Got my new Philodendron 'joepii' today!
I was so excited to get my new philodendron 'joepii'...
MonsteraMan
Anyone have seed-grown a.ongsakulii?
I would like to produce seed from my ongs, but strongly...
rredbbeard
Sponsored Products
Steven N. Meyers 'Calla Leaves Set' Framed Art Print
Overstock.com
Linon Calla Upholstered Arm Chair - Dark Purple - 36261PRP01U
$238.99 | Hayneedle
Tate Old Bronze Two-Light Left Orientation Wall Sconce with White Shade
$398.00 | Bellacor
CALLA Rain Gauge by Blomus
$70.19 | Lumens
Calla Lily Tea Light
$8.99 | zulily