Encore Azaleas to Replace Lora Petalum

charles1218(8 (Alabama))January 2, 2013

I would like to replace the lora petalum in front of the 4 foot fence between our porch and pond. The only problem with the lora petalum is that it obstructs the view when it grows about a foot above the fence. I'm thinking about Encore azaleas (e.g., Autumn Lilac), and would appreciate some advice on which varieties might be a good choice. They need to stay below 4 foot in height. An image of the view from the porch is here. http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz159/FarmerCharlie/web/Pond/IMG_0629_qs_zpsba97781c.jpg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Any of the dwarf Encores should work. They tend to have weak spring bloom and in late summer they again have a weak bloom until frost. If they do eventually get too tall, azaleas can be pruned. In this case I would recommend cutting the longer branches back considerably right after they bloom. That is much more effective and longer lasting then shearing them like a hedge.

You could use a mixture. I would recommend planting several of the same variety together, but having a collection of different varieties.

Dwarf indica azaleas are semievergreen varieties that barely reach 3 feet tall. Red Ruffle is another true dwarf that reaches a maximum height of 2 to 3 feet.
Here is what the Alabama Extension service has to say about Dwarf Indica Azaleas:

Azaleas
Many authorities believe the dwarf Indica is separate from the Indica azaleas. The best known dwarf Indicas in this country are the Gumpo group, which are excellent landscape plants. They are compact, low growing plants that produce an abundance of small leaves. Large, rufï¬Âed ï¬Âowers bloom in June. The Gumpo variety produces single, white, rufï¬Âed ï¬Âowers up to 3-inches wide. Pink Gumpo produces pale pink ï¬Âowers with a white edge. Gumpos are a good choice if you want a true dwarf azalea.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dwarf Encore Azaleas

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 5:16PM
charles1218(8 (Alabama))

Thanks for the suggestions and helpful links. I have been debating with myself between the Autumn Lilac and the Autumn Royalty. I suppose the later might grow slightly above the top rail of the 4' fence, but I'm guessing it wouldn't reguire near as much pruning as the lora petalum has.

Bookmark   January 2, 2013 at 10:45PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Charles, I just thought you'd like to know that the name of your plant is Loropetalum, rather than lora petalum. :-)

Knowing the right way to spell a plant can make it easier to look up information.

Bookmark   January 3, 2013 at 4:55PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

I think some Pink Muhly grass would look good there. Its beautiful when in bloom, and if it does grow above the fence its thin enough to see though it. It can also be mowed down and it'll come right back.

Bookmark   January 12, 2013 at 11:32AM
More Discussions
jujujojo_gw
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
How can I revive my dying azalea? Please help
So I'm really horrible at keeping plants alive, but...
kateyyy
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Galloping gardeners strike again
Yikes! My two wonderful dogs have a completely different...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Sponsored Products
Winnie The Pooh Baby Boy Gift Basket - 8051
$98.99 | Hayneedle
Passage Spindle - Fine Threaded
Signature Hardware
Lithonia Lighting 2 ft. x 2 ft. Dropped White Acrylic Diffuser D2SBDDROP2
$28.97 | Home Depot
BEGA | LED Directional Wall Light - 2261
$335.00 | YLighting
WAC Modern Forms | Loft Ceiling Light
$169.00 | YLighting