Some Konjac growing tips

joeb004(z3/4 MN)April 24, 2007

I came across this while doing some research and getting ready to try and take another shot this year.

RESEARCH ON KONJAC (AMORPHOPHALLUS KONJAC) PRODUCTION IN NEW ZEALAND

Authors: J.A. Douglas, J.M. Follett, J.E. Waller

Keywords: shading, potash, nitrogen, lime, glucomannan

Abstract:

Konjac (Amorphophallus konjac) is being investigated as a new crop in New Zealand. Konjac corms were imported from Japan in 1996 and, following a quarantine period, plant material was multiplied and a research programme was begun. An investigation growing konjac corms under 30 and 50% shade cloth compared to no shade found the konjac yielded 66% more corms under 50% shade than without shade. After two seasonÂs growth, corms planted at an average weight of 105 g gave 2397 g total corm weight under 50% shade cloth with the largest individual corms approaching 2 kg. Without shade the total corm yield was 1442 g. Where konjac offsets were planted instead of corms there was no response to the shade treatments. Offsets planted at an average weight of 13 g gave total corm production of 368 g after two years with some individual corms reaching over 200 g. A fertiliser trial comparing three rates of nitrogen and three rates of potassium with and without lime found that lime and potassium increased yields but increasing rates of urea reduced yields after two seasonÂs growth. The results show konjac is a promising new crop for northern New Zealand. Research is continuing to investigate its potential.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
allan_tan_nz_hotmail_com

Hi
I am interested to grow wasabi commecially. I understand that Mr J Douglas has done extensive research on Wasabi. Do you have Mr Doulglas's email or phone contact so that I can contact him for some advice?

Bookmark   June 26, 2011 at 11:35PM
More Discussions
Anyone have seed-grown a.ongsakulii?
I would like to produce seed from my ongs, but strongly...
rredbbeard
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
What do you do when Arum italicum naps?
I have a good size area blanketed in arum in the shade...
Kristin
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
Aglaonema
Anyone know the name of this Aglaonema hybrid? Only...
russ_fla
Sponsored Products
Mistie Rug 9' x 12' - WHITE
$3,999.00 | Horchow
White Ceramic Tall Table Lamps for Living Room
ParrotUncle
New Authentic Oriental Blue & Ivory Heriz 8x10 Hand Knotted Wool Area Rug H3496
BH Sun Inc
AICO Furniture - The Sovereign Sideboard w/ Bar Top - 57007-507-51
Great Furniture Deal
Area Rug: Burst of Spring Pale Yellow 5' x 7' 6"
Home Depot