How dangerous are Anthurium and Spathiphyllum

marguerite_gwApril 9, 2012

I got a present of two beautiful plants of the above. I've been reading up about them since I have never had an anthurium and only once years ago a peace lily. It seems that they can cause throat problems because of something in their leaves. I knew this was the case with a relative of theirs, diffenbachia, but not that it was the case with all aroids. Has anyone here had any problems of this nature with these plants?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstonpat(9a)

If you aren't planning on eating the leaves in a salad, you should be safe.

Bookmark   April 9, 2012 at 5:42PM
marguerite_gw

Many thanks for the reply, houstonpat. No, not for salads, but I recall reading that the leaves of aroids generally give off an irritant which can be breathed in and affect throats. Since my husband had a throat illness a few years ago from which he thankfully recovered after radiotherapy, I'm just a little anxious to make sure they are ok. The plants are really beautiful, I would hate to have to pass them on.

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 1:18PM
Johnsp(6b)

Marguerite the element in most aroids is Calcium Oxalate. Eating them can cause minor problems for most but in no way will breathing around the plant cause any harm to your husband. Calcium Oxalate is not an airborne element given off by the plant. You are very much ok to grow this beautiful plant.

Scott

Bookmark   April 18, 2012 at 8:05PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

I thought this would be a question about danger to one's wallet...

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:28AM
faerybutterflye(7B OK)

LOL, Purple! I thought so, too! Marguerite, I have a syngonium podophyllum & a monstera deliciosa & a dieffenbachia. They're all the Aroid family. I have had them for years & never had a problem in my house full of asthmatics. The only caution is to watch kids & pets around these plants. They are poisonous to ingest. My son, who's 4 now, decided when I told him not to put the plant into his mouth b/c it's poisonous, to take a bite of my monstera. Immediately, he says, "OW! It BURNS!" & we rinsed well with water. No lasting damage. But when you repot this family of plants, make sure that when you get any of their juices on your skin, to wash your hands well with soap & water. The calcium oxalate that Scott is referring to causes some irritation on skin. I repotted mine the other day & got some juices on me & it started itching & burning mildly. But I was fine as soon as I washed my hands.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 10:47AM
jardinerowa

Don't worry about them. All aroids have the oxalates and being near the plant will not cause any problems. On the contrary, Peace Lily has been proven to help detoxify the air as a houseplant.
I own/run a cyber cafe here in Mexico just south of San Diego and I have spathiphyllums there and they add a great flair to an otherwise dull room.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 2:49PM
Leafhead

Spathiphyllum is one of my favorite houseplants, along c some other Aroids. Have taught my dog to FEAR plants lol

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:17PM
More Discussions
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
Sponsored Products
Gray All Around Chair
$779.99 | Dot & Bo
Avanity Legacy 40" Single Bathroom Vanity - Golden Burl
Modern Bathroom
Feather Light Wall Decals
$14.99 | Dot & Bo
Cool Padre Myvaz Expandable Vase
$7.49 | zulily
Cole & Co. 31" Premier Collection Med Provence Package Midnight Black with White
Modern Bathroom
Softest Rug 10' x 14' - SILVER
$4,199.00 | Horchow
Adjustable Christmas Tree Storage Bag - 7' to 9' (80" tree dia.)
$129.50 | FRONTGATE
Sandoval Runner 2'6" x 10' - BEIGE
$1,099.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™