Looking for a light yellow rhododendron

GGardens(8)February 22, 2013

Any suggestions for a rhody variety that has light yellow bllooms and will not be too large. It will have about 4 hrs filtered sunlight in the a.m. and the rest of the day in shade from the house. I live about 2 blocks from the bay in Poulsbo, WA on the Olympic Pennisula--winters are usually pretty mild with only a few freezing days deep in the winter--summers rarely reach 90 F.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

The link below will take you to a post that discussed yellow rhododendron and yellow azalea recommendations. Note that some of the recommendations were not good for the poster because he/she was in Z6 but they should work for you in Z8.

Here is a link that might be useful: Post to

Bookmark   February 23, 2013 at 9:05AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Good luck. I mean this part sarcastically, but sincerely.

Most yellow rhododendrons are quite susceptible to root rot and root rot flourishes in areas with hot, wet conditions, especially warm nights and especially with less than perfect drainage.

Work is being done to find good rhododendrons for the south, but results to date don't include yellows as far as I know.

On the other hand, many good yellow azaleas exist. Check with local extension agents for a yellow. If you can't find any, check out azaleas.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 10:25AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

rhodyman, ggardens is in PNW, cool summers and wet mild winters - not much in the way of heat to contend with other than some better temps in Aug and Sept when its typically dry - but I think you know that already :).

Ggardens, if I were you in your location, I'd make a stop at Valley Nursery or Bainbridge Gardens and see what they have to offer in the way of yellows. You'll find experienced staff to advise and guide you towards disease and insect resistance at either, and either would be a fun place to spend an afternoon - I try to make a day trip doing that later in Spring each year.

Bookmark   March 1, 2013 at 11:38AM
More Discussions
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™