Sombreuil advice for wintering in Zone 5

hazeldazelJuly 22, 2011

Hope you guys can answer a question for me. My mom moved her Sombreuil (climber version) with her when they moved from California to U.P. Michigan (Zone 5). It's gotten over the transplant shock and is growing like mad, however, we're both stumped at what to do for protecting it over the winter. Being California girls, winter to us just means you don't have to worry about watering! :)

They live about 2 blocks from Lake Michigan, the ground is pretty sandy, and it is next to a deck and about 5 feet from the house. This rose originally came from Vintage so it is not grafted.

Thank you all for your help!

Hazeldazel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacqueline9CA

Sombreuil is theoretically a wichuraiana hybrid, so it ought to be fairly cold hardy.

Hopefully someone from that area will respond with specific suggestions about protecting it. Otherwise, you could contact your closest ARS society and ask about it. Good luck!

Jackie

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 4:10PM
jerijen(Zone 10)

Hazel, I know a Consulting Rosarian in your area who should know just what to do with it. I'm 99% sure she grows it, or has grown it. Send me an email, and I'll put you in touch with her.

Jeri

Bookmark   July 22, 2011 at 7:26PM
elks(US5 Can6)

I grow it in a rather more protected mini-climate than you, in the Thames Valley of London, Ontario, between Lakes Erie and Huron.

It has never grown particularly long canes, perhaps no longer than eight feet. It is fairly hardy. During this last winter, the temperature did not fall as low as usual, and Sombreuil did not lose a cane. I suspect that if you wrap yours loosely with burlap you might retain its canes through winter. Don't leave any part of a cane exposed, or you may lose that cane to winter burn from sun or wind. I never cover mine, and often loose it to the ground, but I think of it as a sparse bush with long canes. I wouldn't be without it though.

Steve

Bookmark   July 24, 2011 at 9:44AM
More Discussions
Black Gold Natural Organic Fertilizer?
Has anyone used this with positive results? I usually...
alana8asc
William R. Smith
Does anyone know how this compares to Maman Cochet...
titian1 10b
Aphids have found my roses...
I guess you never find just one aphid... I just spent...
vmr423
Where are they now? (Francis Dubreuil & other MIA roses)
The previous threads on this topic (and a few others)...
vmr423
Any ID ideas on this old Sonoma Mission rose?
This rose is a low bush (to 80 cm) growing under a...
dkelch
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™