Calla lily question

gardenfanatic(MO zone5b)April 21, 2013

How cool can calla lilies handle? I want to put my calla lily outside but we're still having cool temps at night. Don't want it to go dormant again before it really gets going.

Deanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MasonBurdette

Please help. I purchased my home last March and it has well established White Cali Lilies that bloomed like crazy last year and are doing the same this year. They seem to require little care other than keeping the snails off them and I cut them down at the end of the season. I found Yellow, Purlple, Pink and various other ones at HomeDepot and Lowes so I purchased about 8 off them in various size containers (quart and gallon). Each one I have planted are very sickly after transplanting. The leaves first turn yellow and then the blooms start going bad. I was hoping not to just have white ones but a multitude of colors but they don't seem to do well. I have one purple one still in the original one gallon pot that in doing good and I am afraid to transplant it. I feel I have wasted a lot of money on these. Please help.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:40PM
MasonBurdette

As of follow-up I am going to cut one of the sick ones down to the top of the ground and see if I get new growth. Each year I do cut the white ones down to top of the ground and they come back twice as strong the next year.

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 12:51PM
tsugajunkie z5 SE WI

gardenfanatic- is it dormant now or has it started growing? If it's growing, frost would be your main concern. Once growing, they don't usually go dormant until after flowering and then getting cold, shorter days, etc.

tj

Bookmark   April 24, 2013 at 10:28PM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

frost will whack it back, this cold will just slow it down, way down but it will likely be ok...im still waiting if that tells you anything

mason- yours will be fine, you need to water them lots when first planted, light fertilizer wont hurt either, make sure they are planted 6 inches deep as well, new foliage and blooms will be coming on in no time

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 1:27AM
Leafhead

Make sure you don't water when it is cold. Most tropical/subtropical Aroids hate to be cold AND wet. Water on warm days c warm/tepid water.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 1:41PM
More Discussions
Philodendrons in poor shape
I have two philodendrons which I'm concerned about....
patchyjack
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Messed Up Looking Konjac Or ??? Help ID
Hey Is this just a damaged / messed up looking Konjac Some...
dethcheez
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™