Aphids all over my Colocasia 'Mojito' and 'Black Magic'!

love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)April 22, 2012

I've had a bad infestation of aphids covering my Mojitos and Black Magics. See photos at link below. These plants are new to me this year so I don't have a lot of experience with them. I treated them with Safer Insecticidal Soap (which burned the leaves) but for now, the aphids are at bay. So here's the question: Is this going to be an ongoing battle all summer? Do the aphids return again and again and again? When I searched the web, I found very few people with the same problem. Trying to figure out why I did. There are no ant hills, so these are not aphids farmed by ants.

Have any of you experienced ongoing aphid problems with colocasia or alocasia? If so, what did you use to treat?

Thanks so much!

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Insects all over my Colocasia 'Mojito' and 'Black Magic'!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

neem oil is a good one to use also. adding some lady bugs to your garden will help as they are a natural predator. Did you apply the soap with enough time for it to dry before the sun hit the leaves. That would be the only reason I would think it burned them.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 3:43PM
ctnchpr

A daily blast from a garden hose might help. Your EE's will like the water and humidity, and most of the aphids that are dislodged won't find their way back to the plant.

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:01AM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

That's what I do, just knock them off while watering. The new leaves are coming out much faster than the 1 leaf is dying. I wouldn't let bugs kill my plants, but it doesn't look like it's anywhere near in danger yet. I'm leaving them alone so the beneficials have a reason to show up and get to work. The aphids don't seem very mobile, there's EE'a all around the yard but only 1 plant seems to have them.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:18AM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I was in one of the nicer nurseries in Jacksonville yesterday and in their shade gardening area, they had a whole row of big, 3-gallon Black Magics. Sadly, each and every one was covered in aphids. It gave me the chills and memories of last year - it has been almost exactly a year since my first post! I wonder if Black Magics in Northeast Florida get them due to something with our location and time of year since others don't seem to have the problem?

Carol

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 9:32AM
Leafhead

Try adding some Lacewing Larvae loose on your plants. They can be purchased online. They'll stick around until they mature into gossamer winged insects. If you've used Safer Soap or Neem, make sure you wash it off and let leaves dry thoroughly before applying.
I always grow milkweed in the garden for two reasons:
1 They attract and support Monarch Butterflies.
2 They get a special orange aphid that attacks nothing else, except Oleander. The infestations can be severe, but the MW seems to tolerate it. This serves as a beacon and way station for beneficials who clean up the milkweeds and disseminate into the garden, mopping up as they go.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 2:03PM
More Discussions
Alocasia Colocasia
Can any one ID this for me its supposed to be alocasia...
Oztony1963
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Trade S. Venosum / Z. Zamiifolia For ???
Email Me At gaffenstein@gmail.com If interested in...
dethcheez
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
Messed Up Looking Konjac Or ??? Help ID
Hey Is this just a damaged / messed up looking Konjac Some...
dethcheez
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™