Please help...A. Bulbifer rot?

jardinerowaApril 26, 2013

Hello,

So I ordered a flowering size amorphophallus bulbifer tuber and got it and it has a growth point with no root nubs so I'm thinking it's going to flower. I didn't know whether to pot it up or just leave it on a shelf or table until it flowered like I've read people do with konjacs.
I tried to ask this question in other threads but no one responded so I potted up the tuber yesterday in loose soil but today I decided I should take it out. Already it seems the tuber has kind of a corky feel to it and I thought I saw some rot. Since I read also that people have cut rotten parts out, I cut black dead parts until I got to white flesh. I tried to cut very little off. Now I feel like I made a mistake potting it up but can't imagine one day caused it to rot suddenly. It must have already had some rot.
My question is, the growth point since I got it a couple weeks ago hasn't moved. It is a firm tuber just worried because the outer layer felt more cork-like when I dug it up today; maybe just feels that way as it had soaked up water. Now I'm drying it off and hopefully I didn't do the wrong thing....so my question, DO I pot it up or can I leave it on the shelf? Also, is rot self-contained sometimes? For instance, is it possible that these tubers have parts of rot and then because of good conditions the rot arrests itself and goes no further.
I am just so concerned that this or cutting it at all will affect ability to flower as I paid good money for it. Thanks all.
Z

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

where was the rotten area?

aroids often consume the old bulb and it sluffs off the bottom of the bulb...

one day in soil did not rot it

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:10AM
jardinerowa

It seemed to be a couple areas on the side.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:12PM
Leafhead

It is always preferable to keep your bulb in soil, dry when dormant /blooming and moist when actively growing. Keeping a bare corm on a shelf exposes it to ants, roaches and silverfish.

Bookmark   April 27, 2013 at 2:15PM
jardinerowa

It still has a growth point which is good but I haven't put it in soil. I have COMPLETELY dry promix which I could put it in, I'll make a decision today LOL.

Z

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 11:44AM
johnsonm08(5a)

Hi,
The completely dry pro mix is fine. Dont water till you see leaf growth, and if its a flower dont water then either.
If you have to remove more rot make sure to dust the cut area with a fungicide. When I have had rot, the area is soft and slimy, not corky. As GMBMH stated when the old bulb is consumed sometimes the husk clings to the new bulb like a cap--usually it would come off fairly easily, and the bulb underneath looks perfect. A pic always helps.
Mike

Bookmark   May 1, 2013 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Messed Up Looking Konjac Or ??? Help ID
Hey Is this just a damaged / messed up looking Konjac Some...
dethcheez
Alocasia Colocasia
Can any one ID this for me its supposed to be alocasia...
Oztony1963
What do you do when Arum italicum naps?
I have a good size area blanketed in arum in the shade...
nonconformist_nymphette
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™