Plant or leave in pots?

cannacrazy(8 SC)April 27, 2009

I just purchased an Imperial and Black Stem and wonder whether I should plant in the ground or leave in pots. My Hilo Beauties did great last year planted in the ground; I just should have lifted them in the fall and didn't know any better. I've done some research and it seems it would be fairly easy to lift the bulbs in the fall and store and obviously more space saving than potted plants. Is it as doable as it seems? What would you advise for the best summer growth and safest winter storage? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

Planting out is nearly always best . Though we don't have all those weird burrowing varmints you guys in US have . Even in really bad soil you could lay down wire mesh and dump a massive pile of potting mix , amend with lots of organic fertilers , cover in mulch .. that should give xclnt growth .

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 2:32AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cannacrazy(8 SC)

Aroideana, do you lift your plants before frost or leave in the ground year round? I know my plants will be much happier if planted in the ground but I worry that getting them back out of the ground before frost will be a problem unless I leave in pots. If I leave them in pots, then I might as well decide to have a container garden. Such a dilemma!

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 12:47PM
More Discussions
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Aglaonema
Anyone know the name of this Aglaonema hybrid? Only...
russ_fla
Got my new Philodendron 'joepii' today!
I was so excited to get my new philodendron 'joepii'...
MonsteraMan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™