going to seed??

tango-n-cashApril 30, 2008

I was given a beautiful potted Calla Lily for my birthday in April. It has one beautiful yellow bloom that has now turned green. From what I understand it is because it is going to seed. I do see the "cob of corn" inside the flower so I am assuming this is correct. What I need to know now is how to harvest those seeds and how and when do I plant them?? I LOVE these flowers, they were used in my wedding and I have a home full of prints and photos....I would love to continue to maintain potted calla's....someone please help!! I have no idea what zone I am in.....but I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada if that helps anyone.

Thank you so much!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
anna_lisa(Quebec)

Ok i will try and post my pictures of the steps of the planting the seed it might take awhile

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 8:50PM
anna_lisa(Quebec)

Here are the picture of the seeds of the calla lily follow these steps it will take about 3 weeks for them to come up remember they may not take after the mother but you might get some new ones you like.Anna lisa

Bookmark   May 3, 2008 at 9:03PM
tango-n-cash

Oh wow!! Thanks so much! That is a huge help! Right now, the flower is still green and starting to dip. I thought it was just because it was too tall....
Thank you so much!! I will let you know how it goes! Wish me luck ;)
Rebecca

Bookmark   May 7, 2008 at 10:15AM
exoticrainforest

Your "flower" is not a flower but instead an inflorescence. That inflorescence is composed of a spathe and spadix. The center portion is the spadix while the "flower" is the spathe. An inflorescence will produce berries along the spadix if pollinated. If it is "going to seed" you will see small berries begin to form along the spadices. This article explains the process.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pollination in Aroids

Bookmark   May 26, 2008 at 7:27AM
More Discussions
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I acquired this plant two years ago, not...
fakechuchi
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™