Hilo Beauty

cannacrazy(8 SC)April 24, 2009

I planted 3 Hilo Beauty plants last year in my semi-shade garden and they thrived well beyond my expectations. I did not lift them in the fall and now wonder if they will return this summer? Does anyone know? We are z7b to 8 and I've read they are hardy to 7b. I see no signs of life yet but it is quite early. Since I've also read that they could be related to the caladium, I could be in trouble because my caladiums never over-winter in the ground. I hope someone can give me some good news because I'd hate to lose these beautiful plants. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aroideana(Tropical Australia)

I can't help you with cold tolerance , but can confirm that it will be described as a Caladium in the near future . Damn and I was so sure it was a Xanthosoma ! If they grew to a good size there would be many offsets on the main tuber , hopefully some will remain . Dig them up in future .

Bookmark   April 25, 2009 at 7:45AM
hightider(z8 NC)

Mine are just starting to come ou so be patient Hightider

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 3:22PM
cannacrazy(8 SC)

I dug up the only Hilo I could find this morning and it's a bunch of tubers with roots. Some are mushy but some seem OK. Since I'm really not familiar with tubers, can anyone tell me what to do next to see if I can save this plant?
BTW, my 2 Black Magics are just now emerging but I've read they can be pretty cold hardy--unlike the Hilos.

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 1:04PM
More Discussions
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
P. erubescens: smaller and ever smaller
Hello, all. I acquired this plant two years ago, not...
fakechuchi
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™