Flame Azalea

opie12(8/MS)February 27, 2010

I am looking for the Flame Azalea....can't find the around here and can't pay the shipping rates I have seen from nurseries in other places that carry them....does anyone have seeds for it? I saw there was not an exchange page in the Azalea forum, so that is why I am posting this here...hope I have not offended anyone by doing so. My trade list is current and I would be willing to do an uneven trade for some seeds from this.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fill2

I have one in my yard, just moved here last may, so did not have much time to do anything. This year I plan to take some cuttings and maybe get some seed. Also have one that is yellow. I have pictures, but dont know how to upload them, as i am pretty new on the forum.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 11:10PM
harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania

Are we talking about the Satsuki azalea Flame Creeper?

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 11:39AM
opie12(8/MS)

I'm talking about Rhododendron calendulaceum.....I've seen it growing profusely in the Smoky Mountain area and I fell in love with it! From what I've read I should be able to grow it here in MS, I grow other azaleas, and the info that I have found says it is hardy in zone 8

fill2, if you get some of those seeds or cuttings and would like to trade in the fall, let me know

Melissa

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 7:49PM
fill2

Here are 2 pictures of the azaleas in my yard. Both are in an area that needed some cleaning up with a lot of shade. Both did not have many blossoms. Have others, but not as exciting as these 2.
Also have a kiwi that is to invasive that I am trying to do away with. It was to the top of a tree....
Have many great things here, grapes, cherry tree, pears, blueberries, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3673425&l=56716cce3d&id=577263865

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3673433&l=ae5e538ec6&id=577263865

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 12:57AM
alabamatreehugger(8)

I have 'Flame azaleas', but mine are R.austrinum

If the poster lives in south MS this one would probably survive better since it's native to that area.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 7:02PM
opie12(8/MS)

I looked those up after I read your post, and they are quite pretty as well. I guess they are just so different from what people typically get from big box stores!

I actually live in central MS, near Vicksburg, so I may also look into trying to find the one you suggested.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 8:56PM
jimmy2010

If I lived in Mississippi I'd go with the Florida az. It is much more heat tolerant. It is a native azalea like the Flame az, but also has fragrance.

Other differences are the florida az blooms alot earlier in the season and the flowers are a little smaller but when it does flower there are no leaves on the plant so its really showy.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 9:30PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

Mine is young but I can see a few little blooms getting ready to open. I'll try to get a pic in the next day or so.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 11:48PM
alabamatreehugger(8)

This pic is a little blurry, but you can see what the flowers look like (it was getting dark). Mine turned out to be yellow, but I have seen some that were more orange. I guess with seed grown plants there is some variation. The flowers do smell great though, similar to honeysuckle.

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 8:27PM
kchd(7b/8a MS)

Hi folks,
I realize this thread is rather old, but perhaps there is still some interest here. I have seeds of Rhododendron canescens, wild azalea. I collected these this year, and have been impressed with their easy germination. I'm looking for seeds of other species of native azaleas.
Katie

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 7:12PM
More Discussions
Everything you need to know about properly pruning Azaleas
This is an in-depth guide to Azalea pruning and trimming...
Nope
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
what to do to thicken native azalea canopy
My Florida Flame is lovely in bloom, healthy, with...
vossner
How do I get rid of this growth on my azaleas?
How do I get rid of this growth on my azaleas? They...
63buglover
Attractive grouping of companion plants for deciduous azalea
Hello! I've lived in my house a year and now I'm planning...
Kristin
Sponsored Products
Burns Leather Ottoman - Brighton Volcano Brown
Joybird Furniture
Arnold Chair - Bentley Daisey Yellow
Joybird Furniture
Table Top Gel Firepit-4.25 Inch - 65078
$85.49 | Hayneedle
Babyletto | COCO Core DRY Crib Mattress
YLiving.com
Tennyson Glazed Pine Electric Fireplace with Bookcases - HN1220-2
$639.98 | Hayneedle