Bulbifer to flower or not?

jardinerowaMay 9, 2013

Hey,

I have a bulbifer corm that I got that was flowering size. It has a growth point and no root nubs since I got it over a month ago but does not look it has to blooms any time soon and it is already May.
There is however slight pink growths that look like mini fingers that appeared at the very base of the growth point. It doesn't look the root nubs that I've seen on my konjacs. Anyway, could it still bloom or do you think not this year? Thanks!

Z

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

Possible. Is your corm planted? If not, I suggest potting it into a plastic pot c drainage and watering one time. Plant as deep as corm is high. Do not water again until you see the spike break the surface. At that time, you should be able to tell if your plant is going to bloom.
If plant blooms, do not water. If plant produces a leaf, water profusely. Excess water should run off freely, leaving soil moist and not soggy. Feed and water often until Fall, or until you plant goes dormant.

Bookmark   May 9, 2013 at 3:06PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jardinerowa

Thanks for the response. So the growing point started to go black and now it looks like it is not going to flower. :( The bulb is not rotten but I guess it will just put out a leaf this year. I guess I can just concentrate on watering it and fertilizing it well this year to hopefully get the corm as big as possible before digging up. Thanks!

Bookmark   May 13, 2013 at 11:37AM
More Discussions
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
Pothos, the real one
I'm still away from home and have been doing quite...
tropicbreezent
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™