Are regular callas invasive?

botanicatMay 6, 2007

By regular I mean the ones you would buy at Wal Mart that come in pink yellow, white, etc. and some have spots on the leaves? I planted several of these last year and one in particular seems to have sent up a lot of shoots in the same general area it was planted. Just wondering if this was something I should get a handle on now. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanicat

I am assuming that since no one has responded to this question that they have not been a problem for those growing them.

Bookmark   June 9, 2007 at 9:39PM
anitadehoff(Z8 Seattle/sunset 5)

I had hopes that someone would post a response to this. I'm questioning this in my own yard. I moved what I believed to be all of a calla, then had trouble getting out the remains. Every spring for about 4 years, I would dig out the new plants and put the surrounding soil through a colander in search of roots etc. I ended up solarizing the whole bed for a year.

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 5:41PM
jim_6b(TN)

I don't know alot about callas but I would not consider them invasive. My wife bought some about 5 years ago and planted them in a bed in the front yard where they were in full sun all day. I moved them 2 years ago to a bed where they receive more shade and they are more happy there. I have not had any grow back in the bed out front. They are blooming more and I have about 15 to 20 seed pods. I am going to wait until they are mature and then cut them off. I will probably plant some in pots and give the rest away but I don't want to leave them in the bed because I don't want a bunch of calla babies growing there. I do the same thing with the Arums and Arisaemas I grow.
Jim

Bookmark   August 17, 2007 at 10:15PM
More Discussions
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
Alocasia 'Malaysian Monster'
Anyone know anything about this one? I see it listed...
coolplantsguy
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™