When should azaleas be pruned?

miranda43March 3, 2007

Hi there from Greece. I had lots of azaleas planted in big round pots on the balcony last April. They were in bloom then and they looked gorgeous. In September, along with all the other pruning I did, I pruned them as well. Just before X-mas they started blooming again and they are fantastic now but should I wait till September to prune them again or is it better to do it after they finish blooming? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Miranda, regular pruning of azaleas isn't a requirement...

Most evergreen azaleas require little pruning other than removal of weak or dead wood or whatever trimming is necessary to keep them shapely and within bounds. When you do prune, immediately after flowering is the best time.

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 10:09AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Morz8 is right. Pruning doen't stimulate blooming, but you risk cutting off flower buds when you prune. That is why if and only if pruning is necessary, then pruning after blooming is the best time. If you were happy with what happened last year, then that seems to be the best. If they stopped blooming before September, then pruning after they stopped blooming would be best.

Bookmark   March 3, 2007 at 12:09PM
More Discussions
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
Party Pink
Can anyone help me to find a rhododendron named Party...
Giacamo
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
azalea few yellow leaves
I'm having a problem with some of my azaleas. Their...
trees_in_winter
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™