Colocasia antiquorum 'Illustris' in trouble

Eric55(5)May 30, 2005

Hi everyone,

IÂve had this Colocasia antiquorum 'Illustris' for 9 months. It has grown nicely under an 800 watt grow light (October-March) and then a West-facing window for the past 2 months.

I am having a problem with drooping stems. Sometimes the stems fold over and then I have to cut off the stem. The photos show it all.

The plant is in good, rich soil and I keep it very moist. Sometimes there are drops of water coming from the leaf tips after I water the plant.

Can anyone tell me if I am giving it too much water or perhaps not enough food or light?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: 3 photos

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
john_z(Z 7b Ga.)

Hi Eric! I think not allowing the potting mix to dry-down sufficiently and quickly enough is the problem. The dripping at the tips is called gutation, and is quite common with aroids (and other genera). The plant rids itself of excess moisture and minerals this way.

I noticed in the last photo that you have gravel as a mulch, and this can prevent a need gas exchange from the air to the roots. Roots need air so they don't rot, and also needed to absorb water and nutrients (iron particularly)properly. I let the potting medium of mine dry down about half, but no more than 2/3 between each watering. Also, I think that the bent stems are because the weight of the very turgid leaf is not supported by the stem.

John_Z.

Bookmark   June 10, 2005 at 7:38PM
More Discussions
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™