where to start?

trillium41(z5MA)May 29, 2005

I have had the wild Arisaema in my gardens all my life. It is only recently that I have seen some of these amazing pink and white colorations as well as the amazing variety of forms. I live in zone 5 in Western Mass. I am a decent gardener, but don't want to buy something beautiful only to kill it. What might be a good/safe choice among these plants for my area. I am particularly drawn to the pink stripy ones or the intense black and white stripy coloring of some. What would you suggest? And where is a good place to buy them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kwoods(Cold z7 Long Is)

A. candidissimum are probably the pinks you are talking about. They also have white and yellow variants. The aroid hardiness list on the IAS site lists them as hardy to zone 4, that's probably someone just showing off. Many Asian Arisaema can take quite a bit of cold during dormancy if kept very dry and in very sharp drainage. Plant Delights and Heronswood both have Asian jacks, there are better less expensive places that you can find them if you do some searching.

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 10:38AM
trillium41(z5MA)

Thanks KWoods. I'll try to keep looking for those places. If anyone can suggest other sites to check out, I'd appreciate it. I see that Wayside Gardens also has them for a couple dollars less. Has anyone tried them?Thank you

Bookmark   June 3, 2005 at 10:57AM
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I bought A. trifolium from Wayside but they didn't come up this year. I received them in bulb form, not as a plant, and they were very small. They sprouted last year, but not this year so far. Sometimes, though, I have planted bulbs before that produce only root growth for a year or two and then come back, so I will patiently wait whatever the outcome will be. I ordered A. nepenthoides from Heronswood this year, as a plant. Good root system, but looks like it is dying back. However, I think this may be the habit of Ariseamas when the weather begins to get hotter.

Good luck.

Susan

Bookmark   June 4, 2005 at 11:20AM
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Hi,

The one that is a bona-fide hardy Arisaema for your neck of the woods is amurense...they come from Russia and can take zone 3.....others are tough in zone 5.....you can also likely grow tortuosum and consanguineum....this has many wonderful variegated forms and is all in all highly variable.....of course Ar. dracontium is a sure bet for your neck of the woods as well....our other native jack. Best of luck :o) Dan

Bookmark   June 7, 2005 at 9:01PM
More Discussions
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Alocasia Colocasia
Can any one ID this for me its supposed to be alocasia...
Oztony1963
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™