Azalea's Dead?

rparkerfl1March 2, 2008

I have about 25 Azalea's around my property and we had a pretty rough winter. I have some Azalea's that are green and look rather healthy and others that are completely brown and brittle. Brance snap when bent? Should I go on and remove them? are they dead? Will they come back in the spring? Help....thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

They may come back from the roots. Normally plants that die will die in the summer. In the winter they usually die back, but the roots will still be alive. They can come back from the roots one year, but if they die back two years or more in a row, their chances of making it get much smaller.

The die back or death may have been aggravated by previous stress that occurred last summer such as drought, sun/heat damage, poor soil, insect attack, too wet, etc.

If you scrape the branch slightly, there should be a very thin green layer under the bark and outside the wood. If this layer is dead, then that part of the branch is dead. You can start cutting back dead branches to improve the looks. However, I would wait until mid summer before writing death certificates.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to grow azaleas and their problems.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 9:43AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rparkerfl1

Thank you for the information as it was very helpful. I will check for a pulse.

Bookmark   March 2, 2008 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
Party Pink
Can anyone help me to find a rhododendron named Party...
Giacamo
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™