Arisaema thunbergii entering dormancy?

weirdflowers(5)May 10, 2013

About three weeks ago, I got an Arisaema thunbergii in the mail. It looked great, fully leafed out and had a big, funky inflorescence on it. I repotted it into a lean, fast-draining pine bark/perlite mix, fed it about once a week with MG all-purpose...

As expected, the inflorescence started to shrivel up, but then the leaf tips started to turn pale yellow. It has been progressing up the leaflets and it looks similar to when my Amorphophallus go dormant.

Here's a picture of what it looked like a few days ago:

Since I don't have any previous experience with this species, I don't know what to expect. If it's not going dormant, I'd like to know so I can correct any issues before I kill my plant. Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Leafhead

Strange time for an Arisaema to go dormant. It would help to know its history. Since you got it in full leaf, makes me wonder...Did it go dormant this winter? Maybe the shock of going thru the mail forced an untimely dormancy.
Does the pot have drainage holes?
Another possibility is fert burn.
And of course, there's the possibility of rot.
I would examine the corm for signs of rot if the plant continues to go downhill. If you find rot, gently cut away c a clean knife and dip in 1:10 bleach:water solution and let air dry for at least a day before replanting.
If a dormant plant fails to come back after a couple weeks, I would consider stratifying for a few wks to reawaken the corm.

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 2:15PM
weirdflowers(5)

Thanks for your response, Leafhead!

At this point, I'm pretty certain it's going dormant: it's doing exactly what my many Amorphophallus do when they go dormant.

I only recently learned about stratifying Arisaema corms, and I'm glad I did. Last fall, I bought some A. thunbergii var. urashima and just stored them like I do with Amorphophallus. I planted them and not only where there no signs of life after six weeks, but most of them had rotted. The two I have left are sitting in a bag in the back of my fridge for the next few weeks, and I think this new one (var. thunbergii, a gift from my sister who didn't know I already had the urashima) will join them soon. In a separate bag of course...

Bookmark   May 14, 2013 at 8:59AM
Leafhead

I have a fridge full of Milkweed seeds at the moment...
Can't plant them until middle of June sometime.

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
Philodendrons in poor shape
I have two philodendrons which I'm concerned about....
patchyjack
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Best place to buy?
I'm looking for Thai Giant, Borneo Giant, Jack's Giant,...
msbatt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™