Azalea's survive the winter?

katefisher(Z7_NorthernCA)March 19, 2007

I have a slightly goofy question probably. I planted three Azalea's last spring and they did well over the summer. The temperatures went down a little further this winter than normal for our area of Northern CA namely to around 10 degrees intermittently over several weeks. Anyway all three of my azaleas appear to be lifeless sticks when I inspected them this weekend and I'm a bit puzzled. They are supposed to be tolerant down to Zone 5. Am I missing something painfully obvious here or are they all dead?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

They may still be alive. Loosing all leaves is normal with some azaleas, even some evergreen azaleas are semi-deciduous. If they have green buds, they may open to give new leaves and/or flowers. If there are no green buds and no leaves, then you may need to pray a little and hope for the best. If there are no shoots by the start of summer, then they are probably goners.

If the variety is rated to Zone 5, there may have been some extenuating circumstances. For example, they can only tolerate Zone 5 winter cold if they have hardened off. That means that if for some reason such as cool weather, short days and long nights, etc. they trigger a mechanism to suspend top growth and prepare for cold weather.

If too much fertilizer or the weather kept them from going dormant or tricked them into breaking dormancy and you had a cold snap, they may have severe frost bite. Usually the roots are still alive and may sprout new shoots.

If they are deciduous azalea which are rated to Zone 5, they will and should look like sticks.

Bookmark   March 19, 2007 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Advice on my Purple Gem
I have 2 purple gem rhododendrons that I planted over...
jada223
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™