Covering Encore Azaleas with plastic ?

rolacoyMarch 19, 2010

I bought about 60 Encore Azaleas in June nearly two years ago. I planted them in the Summer of 08 so this will be their 3rd Summer here. They were in the buckets that are bigger than gallons. Is that 2 gallon, anyway they were pretty good size and expensive. I lost 3 during that Summer, because I did not know what I was doing. The next Spring I bought 15 in the gallon buckets.

I planted the 60 along our back fence and the 15 around 2 big Oak trees. I had to dig up the 15 last Winter, I was told that the Oak trees were eating all of the food. I lost 3 or 4 of the 15. I now have what is left of the 156 in the greenhouse in the bigger buckets. I trimmed them back and they are starting to put on nice big leaves.

The 60 across the back of the yard don't look too good to me, but I am very new at this and don't know what I am doing. About 1/2 of them are in the sun and the other 1/2 will be in the shade of the Oak trees once they leaf out. I will post some pictures this afternoon.

I have a question, I put a sheet of plastic over 5 of the 60 that are in the sun to see what it will do to them. I thought maybe they would think that they were in a greenhouse and put on some nice leaves like the smaller ones.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rolacoy

Here are some pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: Encore Azaleas Pictures

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 10:00PM
luis_pr(7b/8a Hurst, TX)

Just to see if I understood, rolacoy, the purpose of the "plastic over the shrubs" experiment is to see if that makes them produce more leaves?

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 2:26PM
rolacoy

I just wondered if they would start growing earlier with the plastic. Also they don't look too healthy to me, because they seem to have lost a lot of leaves during the winter.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 6:50AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I was hoping someone with a more similar climate would answer you, my first thought when looking at your photos is 'dry'. But I don't know if that is summer dry, or if you experienced cold drying winds over winter (which had odd temperatures for many of us).

Oak are generally considered good companion trees for underplanting with azaleas and rhododendrons although while not growing them, I understand the Encores will take more sun than many. Most oak are not surface rooted so offer little competition for water and nutrients and the shade they provide usually filtered, not dense.

I know it's been some time since you planted, but do you remember roughening up those rootballs when you took them from the containers, before installing them in the ground?

As for the plastic - I can't really see anything to be gained there by covering them in earliest Spring.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 4:44PM
rolacoy

Yes I did rough up the root balls. They were in the ground under the Oaks for about a year and they just got worse and worse till I put them into pots. They seem to be doing just fine now. However, I did lose, I think 3. I need to replant them now, but I have not decided where to plant them.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 12:54AM
rolacoy

Yes I did rough up the root balls. They were in the ground under the Oaks for about a year and they just got worse and worse till I put them into pots. They seem to be doing just fine now. However, I did lose, I think 3. I need to replant them now, but I have not decided where to plant them.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
hyakamooks
How can I revive my dying azalea? Please help
So I'm really horrible at keeping plants alive, but...
kateyyy
Galloping gardeners strike again
Yikes! My two wonderful dogs have a completely different...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Azalea ID
This is an azalea left over from some that my great...
alabamatreehugger
Greer Gardens
Greer Gardens appears to be enjoying the last days...
kristincarol
Sponsored Products
4-foot Round White Fur and Foam Large Kid Bean Bag Chair
Overstock.com
'Like an Accident' Cat Pillow
$19.99 | zulily
Floral Design Solid Brass Cable Cover
Signature Hardware
Hampton Bay Cushions Bark Texture Rapid-Dry Deluxe Outdoor Seat Cushion
$49.98 | Home Depot
Graber Fabric Vertical Blinds: Brighton
Blindsgalore