rhododendron

cemeehanMarch 29, 2013

Can a small rhododendron for zones 7-10 be wintered indoors in a colder zone? Do they still have a dormant period in warmer zones?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
akamainegrower

Z7-10 rhododendrons can be grown in containers, but indoor house temperatures and dryness would likely be fatal eventually. Dormancy or at least a winter rest period is also important for long term health. The ideal would be a cool greenhouse or other place kept just above freezing.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 5:03AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

One thing some people do is build a cold frame attached to their home just outside a north facing basement window. It gets some heat from the basement, but hopefully not the dry air. It would be protected from sun and wind and have a more temperate temperature. It would need to be watched and watered when there was any sign of dryness.

I have built a shelf using a sink cutout in my unheated, unattached garage inside a north-facing window. I keep my new plants that haven't been planted yet there. It does freeze but is protected from sun and wind. An attached garage would be better, but would need closer watching.

Bookmark   March 31, 2013 at 10:07AM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

" but indoor house temperatures and dryness would likely be fatal eventually. "

I keep my house in the mid 60s in winter, and some rhododendrons I had inside because I was attempting to graft onto them (yes, the _wrong_ time of the year for BLEs, but the right time for conifers) did just fine with plastic bags over their tops - kept off the foliage of course.

I just wanted to be sure it could _not_ be done in winter. But I'm not sure what I've proven because I think my technique was really bad. I have read somewhere that people have sometimes grafted in winter. The correct time is supposed to be summer after the new growth has slightly hardened. The rootstock plants were not harmed and I'll try again; one of the 3 grafts still looks like it might have taken. I'll try again. I did a little better with my conifer grafts, with 2 out of 3 I'm sure having taken.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 2:52PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Indoors in zone 5 is much drier and hence much more severe than indoors in zone 7.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Party Pink
Can anyone help me to find a rhododendron named Party...
Giacamo
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™