White and purple rhodie?

zinfanaticMarch 9, 2013

I think I have seen such a variegated rhodie in bloom. I live in the SF Bay area and would like to purchase such a rhodie. Soon the rhodies in the nurseries will be in bloom here. Does anyone know what the species might be?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Calsap is white with a burgandy blotch.
Calsap - 4âÂÂ, -25F. A very hardy plant with lavender buds that open to white flowers, boldly blotched with burgundy. The smooth, oblong, emerald-green foliage forms a dense cover.

A. Bedford is very light lavender with a purple blotch.
A. Bedford - 6âÂÂ, -5F. This large growing, vigorous rhododendron tolerates exposure to full sun. Its funnel shaped flowers with ruffled edges are pale mauve to lavender-blue with a distinctive dark blotch. This is a good selection for a background plant.

Peter Alan is light purple with a dark purple blotch.
Peter Alan - 4ýâÂÂ, 0F. An outstanding rhododendron with glossy, deep green foliage that densely covers the vigorous grower. The broad, upright plant has purplish blue flowers accented with a darker eye.

Jonathan Shaw has a purple flower with a dark blotch.
Jonathan Shaw - 3.5âÂÂ, -10F. Large, vivid, violet-purple flowers have a strong purplish-red center and prominent black flare. The wavy edged blooms are held in trusses of 19. Matte green foliage densely covers this compact bush.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hybrid Rhododendrons

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 10:54AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zinfanatic

Wow thank you so much! The Calsap is the one I have seen that intrigues me. The link is very helpful too.

Bookmark   March 10, 2013 at 11:05AM
More Discussions
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™