Dracunculus vulgaris-bloom, no foliage?

vabeachygalMay 1, 2007

I bought my 'voodoo lily' last year when it had foliage. It over wintered just fine, came up (I'm sure I was the talk of the neighborhood) but it was just the big fat stem and the flower. no foliage. what do I do now? do I cut it back? just let it die back and wait for the foliage? I can't just leave it sticking out of the ground like it is now!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
diane_v_44(Z6)

Vabeachygal

This is a terrific plant

I purchased a bulb of this years ago. Now have several of them
I put the bulbs the first couple of years in huge pots that I bring in over winter (to the basement sitting dry and in the dark mostly)
Doing it this way I only get the leaves and not the bloom. THe leaves are striking and make me happy to see them growing in containers
But for two of the years I left some bulbs outside in a sheltered spot in Ballantrae Ontario Two of them, in late April bloomed. Was neat to see them but boy did they ever stink and flys and bugs where around the plant all the time Smelled like rotten meat.
I have moved a couple of times, recently and so have the bulbs only in the large tubs now I came home from wintering in FLorida about two weeks ago and one of the tubs although still in the basement and very dry had a bloom just about finished from the bulb

Bookmark   May 4, 2007 at 11:51PM
More Discussions
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
Trade S. Venosum / Z. Zamiifolia For ???
Email Me At gaffenstein@gmail.com If interested in...
dethcheez
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
Alocasia Colocasia
Can any one ID this for me its supposed to be alocasia...
Oztony1963
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™