Is it too late to move small non blooming azalea's

blessedmotheroffour(8)March 9, 2006

I have two small non blooming azalea's that are not in the right place. Is it too late to move them and if so where? Do they like full sun or partial sun? Thanks for your help. Cj

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

I don't see which zone 8 you are in...here in coastal washington they will usually adapt to what amounts to full sun (although the flowers tend to fade in full sun), most places protection from mid-day/strongest sun is best.

You can move them any time they are not in active growth including while blooming or the ground is not frozen. The period of active growth is immediately following bloom when the foliage buds are opening.

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 11:08PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Azaleas can be transplanted any time. However when they are blooming or actively growing, care must be take not to disturb the roots and to give water but not drown.

Because the roots grow near the surface, a bed prepared especially for rhododendrons and azaleas need not be more than 12 inches deep; deep planting or too much mulch in the growing season keeps the roots from getting the air they need. In fact, it is a good idea to set rhododendrons about 1 inch higher than they grew at the nursery. Azalea plants may be transplanted in blossom but it is better to transplant them early in spring before they bloom.

Make sure that the plant is getting wet. Rhododendron guru Harold Greer noted: "Quite often a plant will get completely dry and then no matter how much water you apply, the rootball will just keep shedding it. The top of the soil may seem wet, and the soil around the plant may even be very wet, but the actual rootball of the plant is bone dry. This is the major reason for failure, or at least less than great success when moving a plant. It is hard to believe that a plant can be within mere inches of a sprinkler that has been running for hours and still be dry, yet it can be SO TRUE!"

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 11:10PM
blessedmotheroffour(8)

Hi thanks for the two replies. I am in Houston I have one happy azalea but the other two look like it is still winter. They are bare as can be. They look so sad. I am going to move them this Sunday. Cj

Bookmark   March 9, 2006 at 11:22PM
More Discussions
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™