Dang it... I have bud blight.

thane(z8 Bellevue, WA)March 4, 2007

I have seven gorgeous and huge Mrs. GW Leak rhododendrons forming a hedge on one side of my house. Last week I noticed that several of the buds were black and fuzzy. They look exactly like the pictures on this page, so it seems I have bud blight.

I've been picking off the black buds, but it seems like every time I go out there more have blackened. Ugh. I've been doing my internet research, and it seems like about half of the pages say fungicide is usually not necessary, and half recommend applying a fungicide to prevent reinfection. What are your experiences with bud blight?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

If it is a Seifertia azaleae (or Pycnostysanus or Briosia azaleaea) infection, the dead bud will be covered with short hair-like structures. Seifertia azaleae is best controlled by sanitation, but may be reduced by spraying buds with fungicide. Avoid application of nitrogen after late spring, but phosphorus and potassium may be applied throughout the growing season.

Bookmark   March 5, 2007 at 12:01PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

I keep reading this as "Dang it..I have Bud Light." While that would certainly be unfortunate, overapplying phosphorus wouldn't be good either. Sample your soil and have it tested before fertilizing. In this area the commonly deficient nutrient on cultivated soils (gardens and landscaping) in nitrogen.

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 1:42PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The above should end "is nitrogen."

Bookmark   March 8, 2007 at 1:43PM
gardenbug(8b)

Bboy. lol 'budlight' - Cracked me up.

Bookmark   March 28, 2011 at 11:27PM
More Discussions
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™