is this an anthurium?

lynn_cMay 26, 2006

I've had this plant for at least 10 years. It wasn't in bloom when I recieved it and it has never bloomed for me. A few times it has sent up 'shoots' (for lack of a better term)that looked like they might bloom but those shoots always withered and died. The leaves have always done pretty well. It's been a tought plant, bouncing back after bouts of neglect. I'm now trying to do the right thing and take proper care of it. But since I'm not even sure about what kind of plant it is, that's proving rather difficult.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

This last pic shows a problem that I'm having. I'm not sure what should be done about this. Does this section need to be seperated and replanted deeper?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
randy_e(z9b FL)

It's a Homalonema.

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 8:21AM
lynn_c

Thanks for the input. Now I know, after all this time, what kind of plant I have. I guess it's kind of sad that I've waited this long to try to learn about it. Better late than never, I suppose.
I have to say, it's been a tough plant. And now I know why I've never seen blooms. After some Googling, I'm thinking this may be an 'Emerald Gem'. Looks like they are grown for foliage. Those 'shoots' that I'd seen in the past were probably the extent of the blooms that this plant will produce. I was hoping for a showy spathe, like an anthurium. But this is a nice plant and it is special to me, as it was from my Dad's funeral. I take it that these things are rather long lived since I've now had it for over 10 years.

I guess my only remaining question is what to do about this:

Should I divide that part from the rest of the plant and replant it deeper so that the brown part is below the soil? Then, I imagine the roots will be even further down. Is that a problem?

Thanks again for the help.

Bookmark   May 27, 2006 at 12:11PM
bihai(zone 9)

Its not a "problem", its just a natural way some aroids grow over time. Some eventually form trunks.

Bookmark   May 29, 2006 at 10:54PM
lynn_c

OK, I had no idea. The only thing is that it gets a little floppy when it's like that. I guess I can always stake it if need be.
Thanks for letting me know.

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 10:14AM
More Discussions
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
Sponsored Products
Anthurium with Fluted Glass Bowl Silk Flower Arrangement - 6668
$49.99 | Hayneedle
Global Views Anthurium Leaf Wall Decor - 4.90068
$147.50 | Hayneedle
Fosters Point Vase With Anthurium And Rhubarb
Beyond Stores
Anthurium with Vase Silk Plant - 6666
$79.99 | Hayneedle
Mixed Greens & Anthurium with Decorative Vase Silk Plant - 6678
$69.99 | Hayneedle