Amorohophallus paeoniifolius variety without spadix-appendix

arumgrandeJune 17, 2005

An A.paeoni.-tuber of 10.5 pd. and a diametre of 9', purchased this spring, is blooming now - and showing no stinky appendix! That makes it more easy for me to have it in my office. I don't need to cover it with a plastic bag or to amputate it. Btw the bloomin was a surprise to me, because the swelling bud was accompanied by growing root-tips.(Now at least some roots have reached the edge of the 20'-pot. I don't want to disturb them by more researching!) So I expected a big leaf. I covered it with a little bank of soil to grow a long stem sprouting over my computer and monitor. But the rising bud showed me time after time what was to expect:

The mail-order catalogue praised it as "Tropen-Nacht" ("tropes night") for german gardens ( we have z.6a/6b! ) to be acompanied by Gunnera. The picture showed a typical inflorescence of A. paeoniifolius.

Is this a variety? Is it already named? Or is it a singular defect? The bud showed no signs of lesion.

Any hint would be appreciated!

Thanks

hermann

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
handspeakboy(z7seattle)

Very cool...I have no idea other than maybe a genetic thing ...Maybe keep this bulb and offsets of this bulb seperate and see if it does the same thing next year and if offsets do it..

Chris

Bookmark   June 17, 2005 at 11:45AM
More Discussions
Philodendrons in poor shape
I have two philodendrons which I'm concerned about....
patchyjack
Zantedeschia aethiopica won't grow
Hi everyone! My very first post so excuse me for any...
Arico
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
Need help
Bought a 9 inch dia. A. titanum bulb/cormer few years...
bgp_123
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™