Help with Rhododendron problem

Fuzzy_ninjaApril 4, 2013

Good day!

Three of my Rhododendrons are not doing so well. I have attached a picture of what they currently look like. I am not sure if its to much sun or fungus issue.

Any help would be great

Andrew

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

That looks like classic wind and sun damage. Typically during cold weather when the leaves were curled up, wind and sun desiccated the exposed portion of the leaves when the ground was frozen or the roots were too dry. Rhododendrons need watering in winter to avoid this. I don't know where you are in Oregon, but this is unusual for a hardy plant in Oregon. If you are in the Willamette Valley, you normally have mild wet winters.

Large leaved rhododendrons are susceptible to sunscald if the plants do not receive enough moisture before the soil freezes. The leaves curl in cold winter weather, exposing the central part of the leaf but not the edges, resulting in the area near the main vein becomes desiccated and turns brown. To prevent this, water plants thoroughly before the first hard frost, protect from drying winds, apply mulch, and locate in partial shade.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wind and sun damage.

Bookmark   April 4, 2013 at 8:35AM
More Discussions
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™