Help of Magnolias planted with Rhododendrons

jck3010April 17, 2007

Hi I have 4 rhododendrons planted in my back garden across probably about 25 foot, this part of the garden has bark on it and a rockery around it so has mainly been for flowers, the rhododendrons were already there when I moved in 6 years ago and are very established also there is 2 rose bushes, I planted 6 years ago a Magnolia which was in bloom when I bought it but has never flowered in 6 years, the leaves come out every year, not sure if it is growing in height though, I don't know if they grow quickly or slowly over a longer time. Any help very much appreciated. thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
luis_pr

Hello, jck3010. Magnolias are large trees that develop deep roots in fertile, well-drained soil whose Ph ranges from 4.5 to 7. They tolerate lots of shade but, as they grow older, they need more sun light. Since they use up a lot of the nutrients in the soil, try to add some soil ammenments to fertilize and lower the Ph (if it has become very alkaline... much higher than a Ph Level of 7). Be careful not to hit tree roots when digging and doing gardening projects as roots can extend beyond the drip line. Be careful not to overwater.

Luis

Bookmark   April 17, 2007 at 1:28PM
More Discussions
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Please help me identify this azalea
When I purchase my house, it had a beautiful azalea...
mmp01
Spring is here.....
=================== 'nuff said! ===================...
Emerogork2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™