Language questioon

honymandApril 25, 2009


What is the english term for a garden or bed with acidic soil which is usually used to grow rhododendrons, heather, vacciniums and other acid-loving plants.

/Hans Olav

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

A Shrubbery, saith the knights who say nee! I guess that won't make much sense unless you have seen Monty Python's Holy Grail.....Seriously, though, I don't know that there is a specific term for it. In the South, it is called the yard.

    Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 12:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

Such gardens are usually referred to as peat beds. They're often constructed with low walls made from solid blocks of peat. The peat used to fill the beds is very coarse and solid - far different from the baled, dehydrated, and largely useless powder available in North America. The underlying rock in many parts of Britain is lime or as it is referred to there, chalk. Peat beds are necessary to grow acid soil demanding plants.

    Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 4:34AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Ericacious garden since the ericaceae is the acid loving plant family.

    Bookmark   April 27, 2009 at 2:38PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Advice on my Purple Gem
I have 2 purple gem rhododendrons that I planted over...
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
thoughts on permanent soil enhancement
This is more or less a followup to Mainegrower's questioning...
davidrt28 (zone 7)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™