No blooms on 4 year old Azalea

tifbee(7)April 22, 2011

Hello,

This is my first time posting a message on this board but I wasn't finding much information through the internet.

My friend has a seemingly healthy 4 year old azalea that has never bloomed for her. The leaves are nice and green, she doesn't prune the bush until fall, and she even talks to it...but it has never even budded. The bush was planted in a partial sun/shade part of her yard.

I asked if she knew for certain it was an azalea and she said she still has the tag when she bought it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Pruning branch ends in fall would remove flower buds, which are set on the tips during the growing season, to overwinter and then open the following year.

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 9:37AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

bboy is absolutely correct. Only prune immediately after they finish blooming. Pruning later removes the following seasons flower buds. The same is true with forsythia and most other spring blooming plants.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 9:35AM
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

tifbee, I'm wondering why your friend is pruning every year. Not only is Fall the wrong time as pointed out above, but most azaleas require little pruning - other than to remove winter damaged wood or trimming occasionally to keep the plant a pleasing shape.

Bookmark   April 23, 2011 at 11:12AM
More Discussions
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™