Suggestions for gardening in SC

help_me_rhondaApril 26, 2009

Hello, All

I am new to this forum, and I was hoping someone could suggest native woodland plants/shrubs/trees for our new garden in Greenville, SC. We are moving there next month from Ohio. I am used to heavy clay soils, very wet springs and very dry towards the end of summer.

Our yard is sloping and wooded, and I'm sure it will be more dry than I am used to. I was reading about love/hate views on planting Lilly of the Valley, and realized I should aim for enriching the natural woodland that is already around the perimeter of my back yard.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

Warm regards,

Rhonda (help-me-Rhonda)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

I'm sure many SC gardeners will have specific ideas for you, but just last week I was able to visit the beautiful Hatcher Garden in Spartanburg. This is now a 10 acre public wildflower/native tree and shrub garden, but began as the private garden of the Hatchers. You'll find lots of ideas for design, plant possibilities and much inspiration.

Bookmark   April 26, 2009 at 3:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenscents(8)

I'm in Aiken and moved here from Florida and before that Maryland and I find SC has the best of both worlds - warm summers, tolerable winters, and beautiful springs and falls. Camellias bloom October to April in part sun/shade, crape myrtles are beautiful blooming trees for the summer, azaleas abound, dogwoods do great. Look at woodlanders.com (based here in Aiken but wonderful native unusual plants) and the South Carolina Wildlife Society, particularly Carolina Fence gardens. You'll love SC!

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™