Will seedlings be variegated?

claysoil(z6 PA)June 4, 2006

Before I offer these seeds for trade, I'd appreciates hearing from more experienced arum growers. I have arum italicum that is variegated. I know that the seeds are viable because there are baby plants around, but at this stage they are all solid green. I am wondering if they will ever develop their parent's white marbling? I won't bother to save seed if "no" is the answer.

Thanks to anyone who can help answer my question.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

Well, it is my understanding that the variegation continues to get better and better until maturity so maybe this is normal.....I'm sure an Arum expert will help us out on this, but I'd love to get some seed to put out back if you have any extra. I should have some seed of Arisaema nepenthoides in awhile.....assuming the seed heads do not bite the dust before ripening. I assume I'll get some seed on my other Arisaema as well this year, although I make no attempt to pollinate myself so can not guarantee it. Good luck with them :o) Dan

Bookmark   June 4, 2006 at 1:49PM
DAVIDFWTX(7b - 8)

I would very much like to see a photograph of these. Are you willing to part with some?

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 10:03AM
claysoil(z6 PA)

Although not my picture, this is what they look like. I think they are pretty common? I don't know the exact variety because they were at my parents' home when the house was purchased.

Here is a link that might be useful: arum italicum

Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 1:54PM
More Discussions
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
ID Colombian Aroid Please
Can anyone ID this?
pittercol
Alocasia & Colocasia help pls. - new @ this forum
Hello all, I have mostly succulents...do not have experience...
rina_
Elephant ears only every has 4 leaves
Hi eveyrone, I am not experienced with Aroids but received...
whippersnapper78
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™