Weird Spathiphyllum Leaf

plantomaniac08(8)June 17, 2013

I purchased this Spathiphyllum from a local nursery earlier today. I realize it's a little worse for wear and needs some TLC, but I see potential. Sadly, I'm not even sure which PL this is, other than it has leaves that resemble larger specimens I've seen (again, I believe it needs some TLC). I have a couple of questions regarding this plant, as I've noticed some weird "things" about it that I've never seen before.

First, it appears to have bloomed back to back (no leaves produced after the first bloom, but a second bloom was produced). Is this normal/common? I've had some PLs in my day but I've never seen one bloom back to back before.

Second, It has this odd leaf that looks like it was produced right before the first bloom appeared. Not sure if this is part of the first flower in some odd way or if this is just an odd leaf. Is the way this leaf looks normal/common (if it's not part of the first flower)?

A picture of the plant overall (I realize it's leaning, where they had it placed at the nursery, it was almost completely underneath the shelf overhead so I believe it was leaning for more light):

A picture of the weird leaf:

A side view picture of the weird leaf (hard to tell, but it connects to the stalk of the first bloom):

Thanks!

Planto

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Could be a spathe that changed it's mind?? IME they turn green over time. There are variagated typed but that's usually a white edge on the leaves gary

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 6:33AM
plantomaniac08(8)

Gary,
I could of sworn I responded to you earlier this morning. I must have eaten my own post. That's a possibility I didn't think of! I guess we'll find out if it is a spathe if it dies eventually. If it doesn't die... then the mystery continues hehe.

Planto

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 12:29PM
grabmebymyhandle(6 Kentucky)

A spathe is actually a modified leaf, it's not uncommon for some aroids to get confused, it's often a result of being treated with giberillic acid to force flower, not always tho

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 2:28PM
plantomaniac08(8)

grabmebymyhandle,
Hmm, that is a good possibility considering this PL bloomed back to back (it didn't produce any leaves in between both blooms). Not to say back to back blooms is... impossible, but that might explain it. Thanks!

I had one more question regarding this PL. Am I incorrect in assuming that this will be a larger "cultivar"? I've noticed that larger PLs tend to have deeper ridges in their leaves (for a lack of better words); my smaller PL does not have ridges as deep as this one. Thanks again.

Planto

This post was edited by plantomaniac08 on Tue, Jun 18, 13 at 15:37

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 3:25PM
plantomaniac08(8)

I have another question. Will this PL straighten out eventually or do I need to repot it crooked to compensate?

Planto

Bookmark   June 18, 2013 at 8:32PM
More Discussions
Aglaonema rescue
I just got this off the discount rack at Loews. It...
Sans2014
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
How to manage Alocasia poly tubers?
As the lower leaves on my Alocasia poly died over time,...
greentoe357
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
Need help
Bought a 9 inch dia. A. titanum bulb/cormer few years...
bgp_123
Sponsored Products
Colonial Embossed Gold 31 x 25 Large Wall Mirror
Overstock.com
Personalized Brown Leaf Lazy Susan with Family Name
$199.50 | FRONTGATE
Zucca 40 Suspension
Lightology
Good Manners Wall Card Set
$14.99 | zulily
Silver Tree Wood Table Lamp
Lamps Plus