Alocasia cucullata - Buddha's Hand

espor(z5 PA)June 21, 2012

Anyone growing this alocasia? I would like to know how you are growing it (inside or out) and how you have been overwintering it. I have had mine in a 6" pot since 2005 and it has made numerous pups that I would like to separate. Can I plant it in the ground like a 'normal' elephant ear and then dig it up and pot it for winter? Please let me know your procedure.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropicbreezent

Mine grows outside all year so I can't advise on overwintering. But one thing I found with it is that it likes a lot of water. When it was kept on the dry side it didn't do much. Later I moved the pot into water, on the edge of a pond. The water was about a third of the way up the pot. The plant just rocketed off after that. It's big and looks really great. I thought most Alocasias didn't like too much water but this is definitely one that does.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 7:34PM
espor(z5 PA)

Thanks for the reply. I think I will put one of my pots at the edge of the pond and see what happens. I have kept mine on the dry side all it's life and it has stayed small, less than 1'. When I bought the plant I wanted to bonsai it but then that fell by the wayside. Now I just want to grow healthy plants around the yard and let them grow to their full potential.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 11:16AM
espor(z5 PA)

Upadate July 13 - the one pot that I put at the edge of the pond is doing very well. It has a new leaf and a new pup. Nice and green and strong looking. The other pots are being kept on the moist side. When they start to dry out I water. They also are starting to grow.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 5:15PM
tropicbreezent

Good to hear. They definitely like a good water supply.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Alocasia Colocasia
Can any one ID this for me its supposed to be alocasia...
Oztony1963
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
New Amorphophallus seedlings for 2015
I just planted a batch of a titanum seedlings about...
stevelau1911
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
Messed Up Looking Konjac Or ??? Help ID
Hey Is this just a damaged / messed up looking Konjac Some...
dethcheez
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™