Azalea/Rhodo recommendations please!

momsgardenApril 19, 2011

We just moved and I am starting a new garden! I was hoping some of you may be able to recommend some evergreen azaleas/rhodos for my zone and light situation. Part of my bed receives early a.m. sun for a couple of hours in the summer only. Part receives no a.m. sun, but a bit of late day sun, especially in the summer...the hours would be after 2:00 as this bed is next to the front of my house that faces North/Northeast. I would prefer no early bloomers because the last date of for frost is May 5. Love all colors except fushia/reds/orange...love lighter pinks, lavender and whites. Thank you sooooooo much for any suggestions! Stephanie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botann(z8 SEof Seattle)

Where do you live? Zone designations are a bit ambiguous.
I'm in Zone 8, Seattle. A lot of Texas is Zone 8. We share common cold in the winter. That's it. Soil, water, sun, heat, and lattitude are all different and it makes a difference what plants will be successful.
Mike

Bookmark   April 22, 2011 at 12:44PM
momsgarden

Oh I'm sorry...I live in Virginia in the Shenandoah mountain area. Fauquier county. Supposedly it's zone 6b...our elevation is around 1500 feet which isn't too high, but we do get snow sometimes when everyone else closer to DC gets freezing rain. Thanks for the help! Stephanie

Bookmark   April 24, 2011 at 8:52AM
davidrt28 (zone 7)

And Mike I wouldn't even go that far (common winter cold)
Avg. Jan. high/lo in Dallas, a typical zn 8 TX locale, is 54F/34F to Seattle's 45/35F. Precip days are 7 for Dallas, 18 for Seattle. Record Jan. high is a whopping 93F! That's close to the yearly record high for Seattle. 2 very dissimilar climates! Dallas has over twice as many sunshine hours too.

Bookmark   April 25, 2011 at 12:36AM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Hi momsgarden,

Check the ARS list of favorite plants for your area at:

Proven Performers for Virginia and West Virginia.

They list some tender plants. Click on the Plants Descriptions Tabs. These tabs opens up charts that list the hardiness of all of the plants they recommend. For zone 6b I would recommend only considering the ones rated at -10F or colder. Note, that for each variety you can click on "More Information" to see a picture and description of the plant.

Hope this helps.

Bookmark   April 28, 2011 at 11:57AM
More Discussions
Rhododendron & Azalea Disease & Pest Book
There is an up-to-date book that just came out that...
rhodyman
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Party Pink
Can anyone help me to find a rhododendron named Party...
Giacamo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™