Sick Azalea?

kayam737(5)April 5, 2014

We have an Azalea off of our front porch which my husband and I transplanted 5 years ago when we moved here. It has tripled in size and every May the entire plant is covered in Fire Red blossoms. After this past wicked winter this is what the plant looks like. When I scrape a stem it is green underneath. Can I save this Azalea?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Only time will tell.

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 1:51AM
Linda

If is is green, it should push out new leaves as the weather warms. The new growth will push the damaged leaves off so you shouldn't have to do anything to it.

Linda

Bookmark   April 7, 2014 at 1:56AM
SusanK1

My azalea looks the same --- also very harsh winter. I hope it isn't dead. Noticed my neighbor's look the same.

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 9:15PM
gardengal48

Sorry to say I have never seen an azalea with foliage that was so uniformly brown and dry still be alive. I wouldn't hold out much hope. Typically evergreen plants require some remaining green foliage on them to survive - no green equals dead plant.

Bookmark   April 11, 2014 at 6:28PM
gardenapprentice

.My encore azaleas were brown and as weather warmed up they put new growth and the flower buds began to turn link and I had some blooms. Basically what I'm saying is to wait. Your in Pennsylvania which means you have a few weeks to wait for an expected bloom and flush of growth. If you find out they're dead just buy some new azaleas they dont cost much

Bookmark   April 16, 2014 at 1:11PM
nuggetandnibbles

How'd your azalea do? did it green up and bounce back?

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 10:19PM
azalea13(6)

I have a full azalea bush. The buds - although plentiful - have failed to open this year; they are sticky and feel weird. There is some type of growth on the bark of the bush. Some of my other azaleas have white stuff on the bark and have died.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 9:47PM
More Discussions
Houzz kills Garden Web utility
Houzz has just about killed the Garden Web. We can...
rhodyman
Largest Indica Azaleas?
I'm thinking of using azaleas as a "living fence"...
alabamatreehugger
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
Can anyone identify?
Hi these are two azaleas that we have had here since...
hello459
Canon's Double - wilting! Help!
I planted 2 Canon's Double Azaleas about 6 weeks ago....
Carol.123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™