Pink Mist Calla not very pink

bug_girl(17)June 4, 2006

I am unhappy with Pink Mist, because it fails to be pink enough, under garden conditions. The white calla can be a super invasive nuisance plant. The flower is just like a white one with the slightest hint of pink. I tried it in containers at first to over come the invasive problem, but it did not like containers. In the ground it has bloomed, but many of the flowers got sun burned, and dried up and died. If you like the big white ones, this one is pretty much the same. Then you might like Pink Mist, if you have room for it, and donÂt mind it multiplying like crazy.

If you look it up on line, the photos have been doctored, and photographed under certain lighting conditions, this is not a pink flower. It is white was a tiny dash of pink near the base, which is only visible if you look inside the flower. From the outside it looks just like the white one.

It was going to a plant swap, but now it is going into the city compose bins. I donÂt have time to deal with finding someone to trade with, and I have a very small garden with limited space.

I have a small black calla, that is doing great. The black flower is really black. I prefer to dwell on successful plants. I also purchased a small pink, but it has the same problem of being white. The darker pinks ones were successful, it is just the lighter pinks that go white and also sunburn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
susanlynne48(OKC7a)

I have the light pink and dark pink. At first when they came up, they were so light pink you could barely see the pink in them. But, as the days went on, the pink became much, much brighter as the flower matured. Do you water them consistently. When in growth, they like a lot of water. Also, do you feed them bulb food? These are tubers, and I put bulb food in the hole when I planted them. Mine get a ton of West sun in Oklahoma, and they are doing great. I just had to wait several days for the really good pink to show up.

Susan

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 9:23AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bug_girl(17)

The Pink Mist is a medium size and the other pink is a small size. The small was pinker then the Pink Mist, however, it began as more pink, but turned whiter with age. The Pink Mist is almost completely white save for the small hint of pink in the center. I got them from this vendor. The small black is outstanding. The dark pink I got at the nursery, and it is medium size, and it dusty dark pink with good color.

I took a photo at the garden show of the Pink Mist, they had cut flowers that looked fairly pink. Then when I grew it, I got the disappointment results, but took a photo any way. Then this year the worse of all, the flower were less pink then ever.

All of them were treated fairly, feed, water, slaved over.

Pink Mist (This was a pink as it ever got)

vs.

Calla Lily Garnet Glow
ZANTEDESCHIA REHMANNII VIOLACEA
(really pink)

You can see why I dislike Pink Mist.

Bookmark   June 6, 2006 at 5:58PM
More Discussions
Can an albino Amorphophallus titanum survive?
One of my a titanum seedlings is completely white,...
stevelau1911
Alocasia seems healthy, but is not growing in size?
I have two Alocasias in pots in my living room. I have...
ednaricketts
Amorphophallus titanum leaf cutting
I've had good success with this process (100% for 4...
johnsonm08
Alocasia Colocasia
Can any one ID this for me its supposed to be alocasia...
Oztony1963
Amorphophallus galbra
Rob, There's a maximum of 150 posts on a thread and...
tropicbreezent
Sponsored Products
Pink Roses Giclee Lamp Shade 13.5x13.5x10 (Spider)
$69.99 | Lamps Plus
Nut Pendant by LZF
$620.00 | Lumens
Tribal Pinks Art Print
$19.99 | Dot & Bo
Indoor Area Rug: Hi5 Smoke 7' 10" x 11' 2" Plush
Home Depot
Madison Dark Brown Leather Bench
Overstock.com
Hand-Forged Iron Round Clavos with 3-1/4" Nail - Set of 6
Signature Hardware
Charles Grande Leather Armchair in White