Transplant and hard prune?

vmcenroe(z6 OH)April 22, 2006

Can I hard prune my overgrown azalea to 12 in. and then transplant it right away? The location gets dappled sun all day.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

Yes. If it is healthy and you are careful when you transplant it, it will recover. It is best to prune the roots slightly and make sure you leave some green leaves.

The conventional wisdom is to only remove one-third of the leaf area, but many people have been unconventional and successful. It is a risk that many gardeners take with azaleas.

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 5:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Azaleas take years to develop. Don't cut it back unless it looks awful. Even if it looks awful it will fill in on its own if given brighter exposure. There is also the matter of the roots liking to be kept cool, if cut down and moved to considerably brighter exposure may possibly have some problems with roots getting hot. Rhododendrons and azaleas with chronic root rot (and honey fungus) problems seem common in my area, and we do not have the hot and wet summers of the East.

What plants tolerate and what they benefit from are two different things. Shrubs coming back from a hard prune does not indicate they enjoyed it. Cutting back roots after cutting top just reduces plants ability to regrow top. Top supports root growth as well, more top left means more rooting out after replanting. Plants are organisms, like us, do not benefit from double amputation.

Bookmark   April 23, 2006 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™