A bulbifer

hawaii50(z10 HI)June 7, 2007

It's taking far too long for this bud to pop open. I bought this plant for its foliage, but now I can't wait to see the flower (and smell it).

Here is a link that might be useful:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I think it's a rule that buds of any plant, especially the first bud on a new plant, take forever to open. The flower of this one is sorta weird, but I think stunning. Looks like there is a light on deep inside. Don't think the 'aroma' is particularly unpleasant either, tho' I can't remember! which probably means it isn't now I think about it. Bet I'd remember if it was as bad as some.

Bookmark   June 8, 2007 at 9:24PM
hawaii50(z10 HI)

It finally bloomed! It was smelly for only one day, the scent of a dead cat or some other small mammal.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   June 12, 2007 at 7:21PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

My first opened today, and we were standing above it talking about it, and I took a deep breath and didn't smell anything. I DIDN'T get down on my hands and knees and stick my nose in it! Mine is more spotted than yours; wish I could post a picture! (Clearly the same thing--I wouldn't want you to think I was doubting your identification!) Not sure how many will bloom this year; guess I have a dozen or two sprinkled around here and there. The bulbs drop, and I try to gather them up to give them away, but always miss quite a few. I'm not at all sad about that! The little ones seem to come up first and the ones that bloom come almost last.

Bookmark   June 14, 2007 at 12:53AM
houstonpat(9a)

Be careful that it doesn't escape captivity in Hawaii. It could easily become invasive.

Bookmark   June 29, 2007 at 3:17PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I'm curious--there's been quite a debate on the aroid-l about good and bad smelling bulbifers. Unfortunately for my curiousity it came up after mine were finished blooming, but while I don't know if mine actually smells more-or-less good I know that it doesn't smell bad enough to notice from two or three feet away. Anybody else?

Bookmark   June 30, 2007 at 9:56PM
More Discussions
Philodendrons in poor shape
I have two philodendrons which I'm concerned about....
patchyjack
Need identification and care instructions
This plant came up out of nowhere in 2005 and comes...
tlynn10
A. Konjac - what should I expect
Here is a picture of my A. Konjac that I purchased...
espor
Strategies for restoring variegation to M. del. albovariegata?
I hope the subject line wasn't too confusing. I had...
mark4321_gw
Anyone growing Philodendron pedatum?
I just recently purchased a juvenile Philodendron pedatum. It...
summersunlight
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™