Weak color of azaleas

bigeasy(9)April 16, 2011

I have four different groupings of azaleas but I am most concerned about my Savannah Azaleas. Usually I get three shows a year but no show this spring. The worst problem is the area is part dark green leaves and more than half and increasing are light lime green leaves. I use Miracle Grow often.What can I do to repair the light lime area? What is causing the problem. Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

The water soluble Miracle Grow is more of a problem than a solution. It is high in nitrogen and being water soluble, it washes away quickly.

I recommend using a good azalea food with organic nitrogen like HollyTone and applying once in the spring around bloom time at half the rate recommended on the package. More is not better.

High nitrogen fertilizers promote leaf growth and not flower production. To improve the leaf color apply epsom salts, magnesium sulfate.

Test the soil and if it is not acidic enough, increase the acidity with powdered sulfur. If your pale leaves have green veins, then it is most likely not acidic enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to care for rhododendrons and azaleas.

Bookmark   April 16, 2011 at 8:05PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigeasy(9)

Thank you, Tommy

Bookmark   April 17, 2011 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea
Advice for a New Grower with a Struggling Azalea Background: I...
Cliff Pruitt
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Good site to order blue?
Hi, I am looking for a west coast nursery that sells...
kjmm1
brown azalea
I bought this year, at the beginning of summer a small...
curcubeu
floral azelea question
I just got an azelea from a grocery and it looks like...
fievel38
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™