If the frost did get my azelea bush.....

donnas_gw(7)April 30, 2007

I know, stupid question. But, if the frost did get my azelea (or any plant for that matter), does that mean that the azalea plant is dead, or that it just won't do anything this year?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

Get, in what sense. If it killed the flower buds, no. If it killed the leaves as they were emerging, no and it should put out new leaves. If it was severe enough to kill wood, it depends on the extent of the injury. If the last, I would prune back to green wood.

Bookmark   April 30, 2007 at 9:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

About the only way frost kills an azalea is if it causes bark split. Bark split is most commonly caused by an early autumn frost while the sap is still high in the plant, or a late spring frost when the sap has already started to rise. For this reason it is dangerous to feed nitrogen to a rhododendron or azalea that could stimulate growth through to autumn. Don't use nitrogen after mid-June. When the sap freezes, it expands and ruptures the tissue under the bark and splits the bark. For this reason always keep mulch away from the trunk of plants. Bark split damage can be treated with grafting wax to prevent fungal and insect damage. If left untreated, it is fatal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhododendron and Azalea Troubleshooting

Bookmark   May 3, 2007 at 10:03PM
More Discussions
floral azelea question
I just got an azelea from a grocery and it looks like...
fievel38
How much sun can this Rhododendron tolerate
It is a Nova Zembla. It will be planted in my back...
420benz
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Do any Encore Azaleas attract hummers?
I may be having some azaleas replaced with dwarf, due...
Bama_Joe
Please help to ID those two Rhodos
I found two interesting Rhodos (one elepidote, one...
rockimea
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™