I need suggestions, found room for more shrubs

buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)April 22, 2009

Is there such a thing as a deciduous azalea that doesn't get mildew in the Pacific Northwest that isn't red, orange or dark yellow that is fragrant and won't get over 4' tall at maturity or am I smoking grass? ;)

Most that I see locally are orange Exbury hybrids covered in mildew. I'm thinking I'm going to have to mail order but the selection is huge and I'm unfamiliar.

Recent hard winter has left me some holes and I'm trying to broaden my shrub horizons. I have about 30 evergreen Rhodies and azealas now.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Here close to the ocean and with more humidity than you would have, my track record with deciduous azaleas/no mildew is poor - I've taken them out and am not presently growing any.

Three that are often mentioned as being mildew resistant (and I can't tell you from first hand experience, none were in my garden) are Arnesons Cameo (pink), Cascade Pink, and Snowbird (white blushed pink upon aging and fragrant).

Bookmark   April 22, 2009 at 8:36PM
rhodyman(SE PA, USDA Z6)

In Greer's catalog there are:

ÂMillenium (Weston) An excellent choice for those who want their deciduous azaleas not quite so intense. The dusty-red flowers set against blue green foliage will blend readily in the landscape. ItÂs very late flowering and mildew resistant.

ÂWashington State Centennial  (Mossman) Selected by the Washington State Centennial Commission to honor the state of WashingtonÂs one hundred years of statehood. The flowers open a light orange-yellow, gradually softening to white with a blotch of vivid glowing yellow on the upper petal. The frilled petals and fragrant flowers fill the garden with charm and sweetness each spring. The leaves are very shiny and resistant to mildew. An azalea truly worthy of its place of honor.

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 2:55PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Thanks

Bookmark   April 23, 2009 at 5:49PM
More Discussions
What type os Azalea to buy to achieve this...
My ultimate goal is to achieve the edge in the linked...
gatremonti
How do I get rid of this growth on my azaleas?
How do I get rid of this growth on my azaleas? They...
63buglover
floral azelea question
I just got an azelea from a grocery and it looks like...
fievel38
Tiny white specks on Rhododendron?
I have a 6 year old rhododendron (Virginia Richards)...
gardenbug
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
hyakamooks
Sponsored Products
Homelegance Euro Casual 5 Piece Round Pedestal Dining Room Set
Beyond Stores
Crystal Scroll Style 5 Arm Candelabra
Classic Hostess
Summit MRF28L Auto Defrost All-Refrigerator - MRF28L
$576.90 | Hayneedle
Engage Wood Armchair in Oatmeal tweed
$499.00 | LexMod
Varaluz | Meridian 9 Light Chandelier
$749.00 | YLighting