Azalea in a pot, plus small problem

katsols(7b)April 10, 2012

I wasn't sure which topic area i should post this so i chose what made sense to me. I purchased a coral bells azalea and it's beautiful, it's in a 1gal container and i want to re-pot it to a larger one, question is how large? i want to keep it there for about a year (my future plan with it is to turn it into a bonsai, maybe) should i get a 15"H x 18-1/2"W x 18-1/2"D or a 9"H x 14-1/2"W x 14-1/2"D. The pot that my plant is in now is 7"H x &7"W x 7"D.

As for my second question, i recently found these strange spots on my azalea, interesting thing is it's only on one half of the plant.

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

I suggest that you take this question to the Bonsai Forum, where (hopefully) someone will tell you how to properly prepare a plant for the bonsai experience. I suspect that the process is different than you think.

I'm afraid I don't know what the problem with your azalea might be, but I STRONGLY suggest that you select a plant that appears to be perfectly healthy for your bonsai process. Plants can adapt to it very well, but it is not for the faint of heart...if you know what I mean. You can't be fighting disease or insect pests and still be hoping your plant will thrive the rigors of bonsai life.

This plant may be able to be treated, and then live a relatively healthy life in your garden.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 10:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jay_7bsc(8a)

Are you sure your azalea is 'Coral Bells,' a Kurume? The leaves in the photograph look a little too large and reticulated for a Kurume azalea. They look more like Encore azalea leaves to me.

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 10:08AM
More Discussions
Galloping gardeners strike again
Yikes! My two wonderful dogs have a completely different...
cyn427 (zone 7)
what to do to thicken native azalea canopy
My Florida Flame is lovely in bloom, healthy, with...
vossner
Good site to order blue?
Hi, I am looking for a west coast nursery that sells...
kjmm1
Greer Gardens
Greer Gardens appears to be enjoying the last days...
kristincarol
Attractive grouping of companion plants for deciduous azalea
Hello! I've lived in my house a year and now I'm planning...
Kristin
Sponsored Products
Windowsill Planter
Overstock.com
Brighton Hammered Pot Bronze Table Lamp
$99.95 | Lamps Plus
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Wyndham Black/Ivory 5 ft. x 8
Home Depot
Pots on Bridge Indoor - Outdoor LED Tabletop Fountain
$99.00 | Lamps Plus
Campania International Small Arabesque Cast Stone Planter - P-521-AL
$139.99 | Hayneedle