How fast do rhodies grow

civilengr3(6a NE.TN)April 2, 2005

I just purchased a couple of 3-gallon rhododendron (Catawbiense Album & Scintillation) and was wondering how fast they grow in a season. How long to reach a mature height? I am interested in propogating by cuttings but don't know if I'd be sacrificing the mother plant too much by getting cuttings this year or if I should wait a year or two.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oath5(z6b/7a MD)

Hm, I belive rhodies grown slow and can be kept in a small bushy habbit for some time, azaleas ( from our expierence) grow much faster, two azaleas we planted last May, thank god the cicadas ddn't touch them, they have grown probably and inch, at least to me they look fuller XD, but I do belive it is a fact that rhododendrons grow slowly, I reccomend putting it somewhere where it will have room to grow, cause we have some that are rather large.....

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 5:17AM
tadeusz5(z5 il)

Usually 3 gallon containers will have Rhodies that you can take cutting's from-

but you are now into a bud opening session , and flowering, thus I would wait, till October, November, Dec, THEN I would cut some 4 " inch cuttings from this seasons growth- it should be semi-hard by then. Keep in mind to trim only enough cuttings , so that you have some buds , and flowers for next year, and the plant has some new (this years leaves) for future growth.

Good luck

Bookmark   April 3, 2005 at 8:03PM
sdafamily(Z 6- tenn.)

can i take cuttings now as i need to cut buds back

Bookmark   April 8, 2005 at 5:16PM
revey(z7b Van Island)

No...it's to tender right now. Scintillation a midspring bloomer you can actually take cuttings starting in late July and into august. Catawbiense Album a little later. I do a majority of my Rhodo cuttings between July and late october. Quite a few Rhodos are ready earlier then the traditional fall cutting. Check as soon as late july by bending the new growth. If it feels like it will snap easy then it is to soon. As soon as the growth is bendable and hardened abit you can take your cuttings. Doing rhodo cuttings in a home enviroment can be a bit tricky but can be done. Bottom heat and humitidy are most important and try to keep them out of direct light. Some varieties can take months to show a callus. Hope you are successful!

Bookmark   May 4, 2005 at 11:59PM
reddbuffalo(Zone 7 DC)

another way to propogate rhodos are by layering, just take a longer branch and pull it down to the ground, lay some soil over the branch and it will root! i've done this by mistake and then on purpose many times! good luck!

Bookmark   May 6, 2005 at 2:30PM
More Discussions
Mid-Atlantic: What are the most evergreen azaleas?
Unfortunately most of my azaleas are not named. But...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Azalea ID
This is an azalea left over from some that my great...
alabamatreehugger
Attractive grouping of companion plants for deciduous azalea
Hello! I've lived in my house a year and now I'm planning...
Kristin
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
Sponsored Products
Serena & Lily Zig Cotton Dhurrie
Serena & Lily
Hinkley Aria Mesh 15 1/2" High Bronze Outdoor Wall Lantern
Lamps Plus
Days of your Lives Timers
$129.99 | Dot & Bo
Area Rug: Night Flash Collection Multi Colored 39" x 58"
$59.97 | Home Depot
Break Down Bridge Stick - BHBDS
$33.65 | Hayneedle