Earth Day plantings......

Birdsong72(7/Northshore NJ)April 22, 2006

A good day to garden. Got a lot done and made a trip earlier this morning to Rare Find:

Earth Day purchase & plantings:

Rh. Candense 'True Album'

Rh. Blue Bird

Rh. Jap x Lutem

Rh. Cumberlandse

Rh. Girard's Hotshot varigated

Black earth live again...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
katrina1(OK)

Good work! You certainly will be rewarded by more than simply the beauty arising from your efforts for the environment.

I tried to do my part. A friend lost 12 of her Yaupon 'nana' due to our summer and following winter drought. She is not much for taking care of and watering her landscape.

Yaupons are usually very tolerant of drought, but she also had not cut back the nearby dormant hosta, so her yaupons also suffered by getting to much shade from those dormant overgrown hostas this last winter.

Yesterday, I searched all over town and found her nine of the nicest Encore Autumn 'Royalty' azaleas. They are now in their first full bloom and I wanted to pull out her dead yaupons and put down the bed for the azaleas this morning, and then easily plant the azaleas into that circular bed later today during the cool down of the beginning evening hours.

Not to be, the friend and her DH had other plans, so all I did today was take her azaleas out of my vehicle and put them in dappled shade under my mature Scarlet oak tree.

After that the only other thing I did was go to a nursery and purchase about 21 cubic feet (six bags of 3.5 cubic feet each) of compacted dry Sphagnum peat moss for later either creating the bed for those azaleas or for taking to my daughters house in a few weeks to mix with the sand on top of a clay hardpan base soil in her front landscape bed.

Except for watering my landscape (we are still in a drought,) I have not done any thing else for earth Day.

At least earth day is not the only day that we can help "the black earth live again."

Bookmark   April 22, 2006 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Anybody out there have luck with Rhodos in Southern Arkansas?
Looking for any feedback from Houzz readers who have...
Rusty Empire
Attractive grouping of companion plants for deciduous azalea
Hello! I've lived in my house a year and now I'm planning...
nonconformist_nymphette
Best rhoderdendron for my area zone 7b Ga.
Looking for a 4ft red,pink or white with a long bluming...
420benz
Azaleas dying
Hello. We are having a problem with some newly planted...
westminstress
hard pruning groves of rhododendrons
Hi everybody, first time poster. Thanks for helping...
HerbBushnell
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™