Ramapo is almost completely brown...

melaroma(6)April 18, 2012

I planted my Ramapo two years ago and during the first winter it stayed pretty green. This winter was much milder than the last but it was also drier and my ramapo is now brown but still alive. She is getting ready to bloom but has only very few green leaves and looks hideous!

What can I do? Should I prune her after she is done blooming? Will she green up if I leave her alone? I did add some organic fertilizer but it is slow release. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Here are some pictures:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

If you had a relatively snowless winter like many, even the hardiest rhododendrons can suffer greatly from windburn. That certainly seems to be the case with this Ramapo. Wait until after it blooms even though it's going to look pretty awful. New green leaf buds should appear shortly after. Increasing fertilizer is likely to do more harm than good.

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 5:08AM
melaroma(6)

Thanks Mainegrower! It does look like wind burn but it is wierd that my boxwoods didn't get any and they are planted furthure behind so they received even less water. Should I prune off the brown leaves now or wait until the green ones make their appearance? Thank you so much!

Bookmark   April 19, 2012 at 1:57PM
mainegrower(Z5b ME)

The brown leaves should fall off on their own - no tedious pruning necessary. If a few do linger, they'll detatch easily without actually having to cut them off. It is something of a mystery as to why the boxwood remained unscathed, larger root system, maybe? Pure luck?

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 4:57AM
melaroma(6)

Thanks, these are both planted under an overhang and the boxwood being planted towards the back of the bed may have gotten more shelter. It's the only thing that I can think of.

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Yaks for Richmond, VA?
I am considering two Rhodies for a small, shaded, urban...
jupitertree
Rhody leaves getting smaller every year
Hi! I have a rhododendron (I think it's a loreley)....
Hyakamooks
rescuing older, non-blooming azaleas
When we moved into our (very overgrown) house last...
pollyfan
Double flower buds
Hi, I have both Haaga and Helsinki rhododendrons. They...
dee_can1
Adjust pH for Azaleas
I have two azaleas in separate planters and they both...
cakbu
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™