soemthing that takes less sun than an azalea

Frankie_in_zone_7April 27, 2006

I am about to give up on a few azaleas that I believe are in too deep shade. Thought they were getting enough sun when trees not leafed out yet but there is shade from some other nearby shrubs. They only throw a couple of blooms, but otherwise look healthy. lot of leaf mold mulch, not gobs of water but watered well when first planted,and they are growing.

I would still like to try some blooming shrub but appear be pushing the limit on shade. Has anyone found good results with Pieris, or hydrangeas or similar in an area that was just a tad too shady for azaleas?

If all fails I will go with more hostas & shady perennials. I already have aucuba!

I could try on shrub forum, but I thought azalea-lovers might have ideas on overlapping requirements.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Had you thought about sarcococca (sweet box) - what the flowers lack in size they make up for in fragrance. Very shade, drought tolerant. Larger, clethra acuminata but it's going to want summer water. Hydrangea relative Dichroa will bloom in, or at least tolerates less sun than hydrangea, but I'm trying that one for the first time this year and I do have a morning sun site for it.

In this mild maritime climate, I have pieris in full sun with no damage, I have trouble seeing it do well in full shade. Do you provide summer water at all to the area you are talking about? Drought in summer is one reason for reduction of flower buds on azalea. Or, had you thought about removing a few limbs from trees, or opening up shrubs to provide dappled rather than dense shade?

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 12:37AM
Frankie_in_zone_7

Thank you, morz8. I actually have some sarcococca I need to move to less sun because THEY are not doing well. I was planning to try them somewhere else, but you've inspired me to try at least one here.

I think you're right-- the azaleas would like more water. I have others that bloom well with minimal supplemental water, but they've been here for years before I moved in, so perhaps are just so well established, and/or these others have some more root competition or some other factor that I'm not taking into account.

I may conduct an experiment and try both approaches!

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 7:52AM
diggerb2(z5oh)

kerria japonica

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 8:29AM
More Discussions
Trimming Encore Azaleas
They've gotten "leggy" so I want to cut them...
jewelisfabulous
Tiny white specks on Rhododendron?
I have a 6 year old rhododendron (Virginia Richards)...
gardenbug
Attractive grouping of companion plants for deciduous azalea
Hello! I've lived in my house a year and now I'm planning...
Kristin
Rhododendrons that will take some midday sun, rest shade?
The shape would be perfect. Drip irrigation?
muddlethru
why do my azaleas look like this?
Zone 6. Moved into this house 4 yrs age and the azaleas...
zeak8892
Sponsored Products
Raine Ottoman - Key Largo Graphite Brown
Joybird Furniture
Christopher Knight Home Isaac Tufted Black Leather Club Chair
Overstock.com
Juliette Satin Nickel Halogen Mini Pendant with Flat Canopy and Opal Glossy Glas
$243.00 | Bellacor
'Favorite' Dictionary Print
$11.99 | zulily
Finn Rug 4' x 6' - CHOCOLATE
$609.00 | Horchow
Bramble - Farmhouse 5' Round Pedestal Table - 10890
Great Furniture Deal
Accent Rug: Bristol Squares Burgundy 1' 8" x 2' 10"
$14.97 | Home Depot
Nourison Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Nourison Rugs Connected Aqua Marine 5 ft. 3
$55.90 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™